J. Prince has finally offered his thoughts on the ongoing dispute between Megan Thee Stallion and her label, 1501 Certified Entertainment, founded by former MLB player Carl Crawford.
The founder of Rap-a-Lot Records and Houston hip-hop gatekeeper took to Instagram to let the world know that he believes Megan's lawsuit is full of lies. "Megan even though she signed an affidavit, talked down, and lied in court documents on me," he said in the Thursday morning caption under a shot of him and Crawford. "Megan seems to be a perfect candidate for self destruction," he goes on to say.
He also references his experience as the founder of a successful independent label, noting that the strategy Roc Nation is using to "poach the fruits of our labor" is not an unfamiliar one. "One of the first things [major labels] do is criticize the deal that raised that artist from the dead," he said. "For the record we have no problem with negotiating with Megan but we do have a problem with dictators."
Here's the full post:
While Megan is not suing Prince, she claims in her lawsuit that Crawford has leveraged his relationship with Prince to get his way. In one instance, Crawford allegedly pressured a producer to forfeit beats that were intended for Meg by saying Prince would be mad if they didn't give them up. Per TMZ, she claims, "Prince is notorious in the industry for strong-armed intimidation tactics, and the comment was taken as a physical threat of harm."
In an interview with Billboard earlier this week, Crawford credited Prince with empowering him to put up a fight against Roc Nation. "I guarantee you if I didn't have J. Prince right now, I wouldn't even be able to talk to you, bro. Roc Nation would have already took this shit," he said.
As the legal battle develops, a district judge in Harris County, Texas, has granted Ms. Stallion a temporary restraining order against 1501, allowing her to release new music. She plans to drop her debut album Suga this Friday, March 6.
Let's hope Meg knows where the money from this one is going!