6 Things We Just Learned About Lil Uzi & Eternal Atake
| LAST UPDATE 06/20/2022
A lot can happen in a day, especially if your name is Lil Uzi Vert. On March 2, we reported on Uzi's latest Backstreet Boys-inspired single, "That Way," as well as his brief Instagram Live claim that Eternal Atake was coming in two weeks. Shortly after, Uzi started causing a straight ruckus on Twitter.
Here are 6 things we now know about Lil Uzi and his fabled album, Eternal Atake:
1. It's looking increasingly likely that Eternal Atake drop in two weeks. In response to a fan who questioned his recent Instagram Live claim about the release date, Uzi said, "Nope real shit."
2. Baby Pluto is Uzi's new nickname and maybe the title of his next single. He even changed his display name on Twitter before Baby Pluto started trending for much of the day. Uzi went on to defend his new moniker after someone brought up the fact that Pluto is Future's nickname.
3. Uzi offered a new short film, the self-titled "Baby Pluto," that includes a ton of imagery associated with the Heaven's Gate religious cult. Marshall Applewhite, the cult's founder and leader, made global headlines in 1997 after infamously inspiring a mass suicide spread among 39 members.
In the video, keyholes and keys consistent with the cult's logo and slogan dash across the screen. The tech company shown near the beginning, Higher Source, goes by the same name of the webpage design group that generated money for Heaven's Gate's efforts in the '90s. Easter Island and its famous head statues were referred to as Mata-Ke-Ti-Rani by Dutch settlers, meaning "Eyes Looking at Heaven;" the coordinates of Easter Island are 27.1127° S, 109.3497° W, which are printed on a piece of paper that Uzi holds for a moment. Uzi then visits Easter Island and is beamed up by a UFO, another popular Heaven's Gate symbol.
4. Uzi presented three potential cover art options for Eternal Atake and fans had the chance to vote for their favorite. Cover 2 was the winner.
Designed by Gibson Hazard, who also directed the "Baby Pluto" short film, it depicts an alien and two women standing on a moon as they look down at a brightly-colored earth. A UFO floats overhead in the distance and we also see a couple of Easter Island heads scattered across the moonscape. The beings are dressed in garb similar to the women in the Heaven's Gate-inspired photos that Uzi posted on Instagram a little over a month ago.
Cover 3, designed by Farris Knudsen, shows Uzi standing among a large group of people while a mini planet and key hover above his outstretched hands. This piece will be used for the tracklist art instead.
5. We've known that Baby Pluto possesses a deep affinity for Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, but he confirmed that it's indeed his favorite film. Lil Uzi Vert vs. the World, the title of his third mixtape, is a play on the name of the movie. The cover art for the tape also reimagines the movie's two main characters, Scott Pilgrim and Ramona Flowers, in cartoon form. There's even a song on the tape called "Scott and Ramona."
6. Shortly after the release of the single "That Way," Uzi was invited by Nick Carter, a member of the Backstreet Boys, to appear on the boy band's next album. Uzi was appreciative of the offer, but we'll have to wait and see if they really link. That collaboration would sure make for some interesting promo photos.