While Pop Smoke's Shoot For The Stars Aim For The Moon is on track for one of the biggest No. 1 debuts of the year with 250k equivalent album units sold, there appears to be some behind the scenes conflict with executive producer 50 Cent.
Along with a quote about how he's "not taking anything" from this album financially, 50 recently explained in an Instagram caption that he's "gonna be unavailable moving forward" to help with the music.
"I’m really not feeling the way the guys involved with Pop’s project are handling things, I got it to this point it’s gonna be the #1 album," he wrote. "That’s good enough right, i’m gonna be unavailable moving forward peace."
Frustrations from 50 first spilled into public view when the original cover art designed by Virgil Abloh was released and promptly torched by fans. He blamed Pop Smoke's manager Steven Victor in a since-deleted IG post.
"If steven would have just stayed out of the way, i wouldn’t have to do all this sh*t," he wrote. "I should ouch him in da face."
His farewell on Thursday came only a few hours after news broke that five arrests had been made in Los Angeles in connection to Pop Smoke's killing. He reacted by questioning whether police were "waiting for [Pop's] album to drop too?"
Taking on the role of executive producer for Shoot For The Stars beginning in March, 50's fingerprints can be heard all over his mentee's debut album.
He told Complex that he "just wanted to make sure the album was finished the right way" and, as a result, listeners "can hear my musical choices" throughout.
In that same interview, he also compared Pop's artistic development when he passed to his own "mixtape phase" in the early 2000s. "I felt like he was blossoming into who he was going to be," 50 said.
As is tradition with rap blog headlines, 50's name has been a regular occurrence lately. A few days ago, he was allegedly caught on camera throwing chairs and a table during a fight at a restaurant in New Jersey.
In the comments section of one of his IG posts, the 45-year-old half-jokingly claimed he "would never do a thing like that" and referenced Donald Trump in his labeling of the story as "fake news."
There he goes again.